Saturday, September 24, 2011

Time to Start

When you spend 4 and a half years trying to get pregnant  you spend a lot of time thinking.  Well more like worrying, crying, thinking, planning, stressing, and hoping.  I think it can be very easy to spend so much time preoccupied with all the worrying that you really stop living.  While it may sound melodramatic, I promise that it's true.  I would know. 

About a year ago I decided that I was going to push through all the anxiety of trying to start a family (and failing) and that I was going to make the most of my life.  You only get one shot and I want mine to be good.  So what did I do? 

Nick and I started traveling to all those places we said we'd wanted to go, but hadn't.  I have slight travel anxiety and dislike traveling to places that I'm unfamiliar with.  Well we're changing that.  We went to Boston.  Do we know anyone in Boston?  No.  Did we know where anything was or what to do there?  No.  We went and had an incredible time. 

I got a better job.  I wasn't happy in the coffee business anymore.  I will admit that when I first started my coffee career in 2000, I actually really, really enjoyed it.  I absolutely loved my job.  But as time went on and I'd been in it longer and longer, I became jaded and just really started to dislike the demanding customers and the ridiculous amount of cleaning.  So I looked for a new job as a bank teller.  I knew it would be something I was good at and that I enjoyed.  I scoured bank websites for about a year before finally landing a position.  I've been at BB&T for 4 months now and I couldn't be happier.  I love it!  I realized that I spend more time working than awake at home and I needed to do something I truly enjoyed. 

I make the most of opportunities I have to be social.  I've always been a homebody, but lately I'm realizing that one of the best ways I can spend my free time is to cultivate relationships with the people who will act as my support system throughout the rest of my life.  Almost any time someone calls and asks us to go out, we'll go.  It's so important to have people you can count on to be on your side.  Not to mention when you have friends as awesome as ours, it's just plain old fun.  We're so lucky. 

These are just some small changes I've made.  It's been working for me. 

Make the most of your life.  You have one life to live and you definitely don't want to be in your 80s and look back wishing you'd done more. 

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm proud of you Katie! :)

Heather said...

I think it's fantastic that you are tackling things in your life that are going to make you happy!

Andrew said...

You're so much better off at your new job, though I think you'd enjoy it more now. Things have leveled out a lot more.