Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Very Early Christmas Present

Most anyone who knows me will tell you that I do not collect anything. I loathe knick-knacks. I hate having little things just sitting around the house that serve no purpose, but to clutter the few surfaces that I have.

BUT, there is one (and only one) thing that I've always wanted to start collecting. I have always wanted a Christmas Village. Always, always! I think they look so gorgeous at Christmas time when they're all lit up. Not to mention that they are knick-knacks that I can put away after a couple of months. Okay, maybe more than a couple of months because I love the villages that much.

While on vacation Nick and I found a store that carries Department 56 collectibles. I never knew how detailed collecting was. Department 56 carries many, many styles of Christmas villages. Before you even start collecting you have to pick one to continue with. Each year various buildings are introduced to each village and others are retired. After a long thought process we decided on....

The Charles Dickens Village

It's classic, pretty, and perfectly suits our styles. Due to the price points (I won't lie, it's kind of expensive) we'll only be adding to our village once a year. I've already started debating which building I'll want next year. Of course, if I happen to find a building on ebay that has the authentification certificate with it and is an extremely good price I may just have to buy it now. If you're going to do it, you gotta do it right. And because I know you all are on the edge of your seats for pictures of what we did buy, here you go!



And what's a village without some people in it? We had to buy the candle maker and his wife.



We got them yesterday and I'm pretty stoked. How long until Christmas?

Here's the beauty I have my eye on for next year:


Evidently it's the church that Dickens and his wife were married in. Pretty, huh?

So at long last I have a collecting hobby. I think I'm already addicted.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love Dept 56. My mother had a Snow Village and put it up every year under our stairs with white lights for stars. How fun. You can find pieces discounted sometimes if they're going to be discontinued.