Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Last Two Years

Mom,

It's been two years now since you've passed away. While I certainly miss you, I'm so happy that you're finally with the Lord. You told me ever since I could remember that all you wanted to do was go Home. Earth was just a temporary space for you. And while you were happy here and you did as much for God as you possibly could, you were always ready to be by His side. Always.

I hope you know that we're all okay. We've grieved and we've been able to move on. Not that we've forgotten you or that we don't miss you. We do. Most of the time I remember you're not here the most when I go to call you to ask you something and I remember I can't. You knew everything. You always gave Shannon directions and always told me which store I could find specific items at. Who do we ask now? We've been making due with asking each other, but let's be honest; you're the only one that knew the answer to all the questions we had.

I think you'd be really proud of Shannon. Mom, she's grown up so much. She was always your little Shannie-Bananie, but now she's grown into Shannon. She's moved out on her own, has a dog (whom she hasn't killed yet-surprise, surprise!), has a steady job, and even pays all her own bills. And she handles it fantastically. I know part of why you were so worried to leave was because of Shannon, but know that she's okay. It's been fun to watch her grow so much.

I'm okay too. I know you never worried about me as much because you always pointed out how independent and responsible I was and because I had Nick. You were so right about him. He's as incredible as you thought he was. He's been able to be there for me 100% and he never gives up. He's a great provider. You always knew he would be though. It meant so much to me that you cared about him so much. You always knew we'd be okay. You might be the only person who didn't think we were crazy when we got engaged at 19. You knew we were going to be all right.

Sometimes it seems like so much has changed since you left, but it really hasn't. I know that we didn't always see eye to eye, but as you always said "you're your father's daughter". I like to think that while we didn't often agree, it only bettered us because we were able to see two sides to every story. We were able to learn so much from each other.

I know that you know why Shannon and I couldn't be there as much at the end. I wanted to be, I did, but I just couldn't bear to see you like that. It was too painful. For the first year or so after you died, I couldn't picture any other memories of you besides of you in the hospital and almost incoherent. Fortunately now I can remember a little more. Of course, the images of you sick still stick out the most, but I know they'll fade over time. There's just nothing as terrifying as seeing your parents so helpless and hurt. Yet another reason why I'm so glad you left and went to Heaven. You don't know pain or suffering there. I know you're sitting next to the Lord and hearing his stories and singing in his choir.

Always know that we love you. And that we'll never forget you. You were one of the best women we had the pleasure of knowing. You were an impeccable example of a Christian. You led Shannon and I to the Lord and I'm so thankful you raised us in a Christian home. I love you so much. And I miss you even more.

Love, always and forever,

Katie




Cheryl Lynne Morgan "Sharon", 50, passed away into the arms of her Heavenly Father on Wednesday, March 18, 2009.
She fought a courageous battle with ovarian cancer for the past 10 months.
Cheryl was born February 15, 1959 in Elkhart, IN. She has been a resident of Raleigh for the past 16 years and owned her own housekeeping service. She was an active member of New Hope Baptist Church where she served Christ with her numerous gifts and talents. Cheryl served on the Music Worship Team for the celebration service as well as a member of the Worship Choir. She was director of the Girls in Action, a member of the WMU, a member of the AIDS Care Team, a Sunday School Teacher, a member of the Apartment Ministry where she volunteered her time tutoring children, a member of the Disaster Relief Team and a Vacation Bible School Teacher. She lived her life to edify and glorify God.
She is survived by a daughter, Katie Lynne Kreamer and son-in- law, Nick and daughter, Shannon Ruth Morgan, all of Raleigh. She is also survived by a sister, Kim LeBarron, of Warsaw, IN; brother, Fred Nusbaum, and step-mother, Betty Nusbaum, both of Elkhart, IN. She also leaves behind her two beloved cats, Buttons and Skittles.
A memorial service to celebrate the life of Cheryl will be held on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. at New Hope Baptist Church, Raleigh. The family will receive friends one hour prior to the service.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Cheryl Morgan Fund, c/o New Hope Baptist Church, 4301 Louisburg Road, Raleigh, NC, 27604.
Family and friends are encouraged to volunteer their time to their congregation or to a favorite charity in Cheryl's memory.
For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Phillipians 1:21

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Sad stuff. But this was really good to read.

Kate said...

Katie this was absolutely beautiful. I had to come read it again and comment because it's just about the loveliest thing I've ever read. Lots of love sister.